This month’s employee spotlight is Jason Kain from =PR= Fairfax or as the Fairfax team likes to call it =PR= FUNfax. Jason knows all about having fun. He brings fun and experience to the =PR= team. When he is not working at the store he is creating an exciting learning environment for his students. In addition to working at Potomac River Running, Jason is a physical education teacher in Fairfax County. Jason has been a teacher for 8 years and notes that for him “teaching is a calling!” Jason stated, “There’s nothing else I’d rather do with my life than help children succeed and learn how to live a long, healthy life.” Jason bring that same passion and love to =PR= each and every day. When he is not teaching or working at the store he is often found running one of our many =PR= Races with the FUNfax Crew. Be sure to check out some of Jason’s at home workouts for kids.
Q U I C K Q U E S T I O N S
Runner/Employee Full Name: Jason Kain
Age Category: Age 36
Favorite PR Race: Leesburg 20K
Favorite Race of All Time: Marine Corp Marathon
First Race Ever: Goblin Gallop 5K
Best Race Memory: Seeing my parents and my college roommate at the finish line after my first marathon.
How did you get started running or walking? My dad was a runner and we ran our first 5K race together when I was 10 years old.
T H I S O R T H A T
Favorite Running Event/Distance? Marathon
What is/was your favorite part about running/racing? Running with friends! I generally don’t race competitively. I run with my friends and talk to them the entire time. I have really bonded with other =PR= employees by racing with them!
Running: Being with friends
Racing: Celebrating at the finish line with friends and family
Who is your biggest cheerleader/supporter? The =PR= Family and my parents
What is your Spirit Animal? Why? Alaskan Husky because they are beautiful and they run with their owners 😊
What is your life’s motto? Words to live by? Never give up!
Best Advice You Can Give to Others: Anything is possible. Set your goals based on where you want to be and not where other people expect you to be. Surround yourself with people who love you and support you so you will never doubt yourself. Put 100% effort toward your goals with the support of the people who love you so you will have no regrets!
Favorite Part About Working for =PR= FUNfax: My colleagues! They are an extension of my family and I love everyone who has ever worked with me. I feel more respected at =PR= than I have at any other job! Time spent with my colleagues is a privilege and I cherish every moment!
Favorite Thing About Teaching Physical Education: My favorite thing about teaching physical education is making a difference in the lives of children! I enjoy watching young children master topics such as biomechanics, macronutrients, setting SMART goals, and conflict management. I had a child tell me last week my biomechanics lesson inspired her to become a doctor and that memory will last forever!
T H I S O R T H A T
Distance – Long or Short
Post Race Snack – Banana or Bagel
Running Company – Alone or Together
Time of Day – Rise and Grind (Morning) or Night Time is the Right Time (Evening)
Location – Road Runner or Trail Crusher
Run – Workout or Long Run
Top Shoes Picks:
2) Saucony Ride
Top 3 Items:
Top 3 Fun Facts, Tell Us Something About Yourself!
1) I love to cook and read! Some of my favorite recipes are flatbread pizza, Alfredo sauce, hummus, stir fry, and chicken chili. I also worked at B&N for 8 years in high school and college.
2) I have a Ph.D. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology. Chris Kelly from the Vienna store nicknamed me Dr. J. because of my Ph.D.
3) I used to be a certified EMT. Unfortunately, I was unable to volunteer and use the certification before it expired.
Favorite place to run or train:
1) W&OD Trail
2) Nottoway Park
3) Burke Lake Park
Best At-Home, Kid Friendly Gym Workout/Activities:
1) Dr. Kain’s Avenger’s/Justice League/Pokeman/Star Wars/Harry Potter Tabata workouts…created in August-September 2020 😊
2) Mike Ginacola’s Super Mario Fitness Challenge
3) Level Up Videogame Workout
Racing is . . . a great sense of accomplishment!
Running is . . . my way to stay in shape and connect with friends!
My last run was . . . an 8 mile run with former =PR= employee Kim Isler.
My favorite thing about running is . . . my friendships with other runners.
If I wasn’t running . . . I’d be cooking or reading.
A few additional questions:
1) How do you balance teaching and running/training? Truthfully, I cut into my sleeping time. I start running at 5:50 AM three times a week with Kim Isler and a couple of our customers who live near her house. I come home, shower, eat, start working by 8:00-8:30 AM, and don’t stop until I am finished. I do a 4th and sometimes 5th run on the weekends when there are no classes and I have more time available.
2) What made you want to become a teacher? I volunteered for the Boys and Girls Club as a freshman and sophomore in college and loved it! My experience inspired me to become a summer SACC intern as a junior and senior to continue working with kids. In my first career, I was working 80-90 hours per week and really missed working with kids. Eventually I decided if I missed working with kids so much, I should find a way to work with them full time. I resigned, went back to school in a career switcher program, and was working full time in the classroom within a year!
3) How long have you taught for? The 2020-2021 school year is my 8th year. I have been at the same school for my entire career!
4) What are your favorite things about teaching PE? Inspiring students to live a healthy life, become good people, and master difficult topics such as biomechanics, macronutrients, setting SMART goals, and managing conflicts.
5) Describe =PR= Fairfax in three words: Fun, friendly, family!