Up, up, and away… This month’s Employee Spotlight is the one and only =PR= pilot, Todd Wait from the =PR= Reston store. Todd has been with the Reston store for a while and enjoys working with local Reston Runners, members of the Y, and local high school athletes. When Todd isn’t working at Potomac River Running he is most likely flying around the world as a pilot. But don’t worry Todd is sure to make time to run on the fly and has been to some pretty awesome places worldwide to run. Read on to learn about some of Todd’s top picks of places to run.
Q U I C K Q U E S T I O N S
Runner/Employee Full Name: Todd Wait
Age Category: 55-59 (I’m 56)
Favorite =PR= Race: Leesburg 20K. It was my first race > 10 miles and gave me hope that I might run a half or full marathon someday.
Favorite Race of All Time: Bay to Breakers, a 15K in San Francisco that is an insane party before, during and after. People (not me) run it naked!
Best Race Memory: National Marathon in DC on 3/21/09. I ran a marathon PR of 3:30:20, a Boston Marathon qualifying time then. I ran 26 consecutive:58-7 8:03 min/mile w/out the use of a Garmin, just my trusty Timex Ironman watch.
How did you get started running or walking? I was a football, basketball and baseball player through high school, and even ran hurdles and high jumped in jr. high, but it wasn’t until I was in my mid-twenties that I started running for fun and fitness. Then in my 40’s a Reston Runner friend encouraged me to try some longer distances, and I was hooked.
Favorite Running Event/Distance? The JFK 50 with the Reston Runners. We used to take a large contingent to Hagerstown, MD the night before and have a pot-luck dinner. They also had post-race massages coordinated by a member who was a massage therapist.
What is/was your favorite part about running/racing?
Running: I coordinate my breathing with my footstrikes/cadence for a moving meditation.
Racing: The camaraderie and support.
Who is your biggest cheerleader/supporter? My adult children (Ryan & Ellen), my girlfriend and her son in Italy (Natasha & Alex), and my cats (Chips & Salsa.)
What is your Spirit Animal? Why? The sea otter, which symbolizes friendship, peace, kindness and family. It’s social and mischievous and a representation of grace, empathy, happiness and never-ending curiosity.
What is your life’s motto? Words to live by? “One day at a time. Life is a marathon.”
Best Advice You Can Give to Others: Imagine what you’d like to see happen, then do anything to make it impossible.
Favorite Part About Working For =PR= Reston: The great group of people we’ve had there over the years, and serving my peeps from the Y, Reston Runners and other parts of my life when they come in.
Favorite Place to Travel and Best Place to Run when you’re traveling:
My job as a pilot has allowed me to run in some really cool places:
- Throughout Hyde Park and along the Regent’s Canal in London.
- Trail run along the Limmat River in Zurich with a jump from a bridge and refreshing dip afterward.
- Challenging trail run along the Rhone River as it flows out of Geneva.
- Combo park/city/beach run in Barcelona.
- Along the canals in Noord Amsterdam out into the countryside after a short ferry ride from the central train station.
- Along the Tiber River in Rome out into the countryside where goats graze along the trail.
- Running half-mile repeats on the Ile aux Cygnes (Isle of Swans) in the Seine River in Paris.
T H I S O R T H A T
Distance – Long or Short – Long. I’m not in a hurry and not built for speed!
Post Race Snack – Banana or Bagel – Banana cream cheese on a toasted sourdough bagel.
Running Company – Alone or Together – Together, so I don’t have to listen to the voices in my head!
Time of Day – Rise and Grind (Morning) or Night Time is the Right Time (Evening) – I’m an early riser, so definitely Rise and Grind.
Location – Road Runner or Trail Crusher –Trail Cruiser, not Crusher, when I can find them. My crushing days are over!
Top Shoe Picks:
1) Hoka Bondi for long, slow distance.
2) Hoka Clifton for easy/recovery & Clifton Edge for uptempo.
3) Hoka Speedgoat for speedgoating.
Top 3 Items for a Runner or Walker to Pack on Their Carry On:
Top 3 Fun Facts, Tell Us Something About Yourself!
1) I’m a big Indie/BritPop music fan. My all-time favorite band is The Smiths.
2) I love to cook and bake. My favorite new recipe is a vegan chickpea tikka masala with green rice that I’ve been sharing with my =PR= Reston peeps.
3) I regularly practice yoga and received my 200-hour teacher certification in 2018.
Favorite place to run or walk:
1) Wherever I am.
2) Fairfax County Cross County Trail (CCT).
3) I actually enjoy treadmills, especially when it’s nasty outside. I once did 16.5 miles on an extremely wintry day.
Flying is . . . My ticket to running ‘round the world.
Running is . . . An escape and moving meditation.
My last run was . . . An awesome run in a warm, light rain. My favorite conditions.
My favorite thing about running is . . . The relationships that I’ve made.
If I wasn’t running I’d . . . Be practicing yoga and listening to indie music.
=PR= Reston is . . . Like family.