On any given day, there’s only one answer… YES! But when you’re on vacation should you take it easy and rest? Or do you pack the sneakers and log some beachside miles? Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of working out on vacation.
- You get to explore new places, new trails, new views, and more in a new location! Who knows – you may discover a few hidden gems while out and about that you wouldn’t have come across if it wasn’t for you going the extra mile on vacation.
- You can finally focus on easy days instead of workouts and following a strict training plan. Vacation days are the perfect time to enjoy long easy runs or walks without the pressure of following your normal routine back home. So go on and take it easy; after all it’s vacation!
- You don’t have to stress about losing any gained fitness or missing a beat in your running and walking. Just a few minutes of getting out and about each day will allow you to feel good about not missing out and losing any progress you had made.
- You’ll enjoy the evening ice cream treat or local cuisine that much more post-run or walk! We know you want the extra scoop so go for it, you just ran or walked! #TreatYoSelf. Just don’t forget to grab extra napkins, you wouldn’t want any melted ice cream dripping on your sneakers!
- You may be missing out on other activities. Vacation is a great time to enjoy time with family and explore new locations and activities.
- You aren’t giving your body time to shut down and truly rest! It’s vacation, what better time to rest, relax, and actually recover!
- You may get lost, like actually lost in an area you are not familiar with!
- Your vacation mates may not like you missing out on quality time with them.
Whether you decide to run or walk on vacation is up to you, but we think the pros outweigh the cons especially if you consider taking these tips into consideration:
Tips for Running and Walking on Vacation:
- Be flexible! Go at a time that won’t interrupt family time or cause you to miss out on fun activities.
- Make it a family affair! Hello long walks on the beach! Another great vacation activity is a morning run on the boardwalk with your partner.
- Go on an adventure by making your run or walk less about exercising and more about exploring and finding local hot spots and cool areas to explore.
- Take it easy. It’s okay to miss a day of running or walking, think of it as a built-in recovery day. There is no better recovery tool than the sounds of the beach or the fresh mountain air, so enjoy yourself and breathe easy.
Only thing left to do is pack your bags, load the car, and hit the road running! It’s vacation time!
-Not sure what to pack? Check out our “Best of Summer” products to create your running and walking vacation packing list.